#header-inner {text-align: center ;}

Wednesday, 14 May 2014


My last check-up was a pretty good one, there's always room for improvement but in terms of goals I was pretty happy with all my results.

First off, as most of you know I have given up carbs and have been following a diabetic diet for the past 4 or so months. Due to my weight being so low this sort of diet doesn't come highly recommended. My doctors and dieticians have always said I should be on a 'see food' diet and munch on anything and everything I can get my hands on. Because I'm diabetic this meant that I had to calculate how many carbs I was ingesting (carb counting) and inject insulin accordingly. This was a bit of a pain in the bum (or stomach, rather) and my glucose levels were never really great despite my hardest efforts to ensure that I was giving myself the right amount of insulin. My weight also wasn't great, no matter how many cupcakes I ate.

So, I decided to try something different and give up all carbs. Initially I lost 2kgs in the first week but then realised I needed to increase my fat intake substantially to make up for the lack of carbs. Once I had done this the weight slowly piled on.
Admittedly I did wear some heavy jeans and a jersey but when I hopped on the scale at my last check-up, I was thrilled to see that I was exactly 50kgs which has been my goal weight for so long!

Apart from reaching my goal weight, my glucose levels had also come down and all my results just looked better than ever. My medication was even lowered due to my absorption being better. It's amazing what a difference a healthy diet can make!

Now onto my peg- At the beginning of 2012 I had to have a PEG (Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy) tube inserted into my stomach so that I could be tube fed at night. A litre of a high calorie 'protein shake' was pumped into me each night and gradually I was able to put some much needed weight on.

Initially a long thick tube was inserted and had to stay in for 6 weeks while scar tissue developed. After that a smaller 'button' was inserted which then stayed in permanently. Much like a piercing.

Once a month I would have to deflate the little balloon that kept my peg in and remove the whole thing to clean it. This wasn't a very fun process but it had to be done to prevent infection.

Without the peg I wouldn't have been able to put on the weight required to be listed for a transplant. So in a way it basically saved my life and I was always grateful for it. That said, I absolutely hated it!
When I was sick and full of tubes it didn't bother me as much because what's one more tube? But after transplant when I was 'normal' it really was a huge inconvenience. I had to dress and clean it everyday as well as trying to find clothes to disguise it.

I didn't use it after my transplant but my doctor wanted me to keep it in as a back up and said he would take it out when I had reached my goal of 50kgs.

So you can imagine how very happy I was when I saw that I had finally reached 50kgs and could take my peg out!!

Then came the realisation that I actually had to take it out myself!

It's no big deal, like a piercing I literally just had to pull it out and the hole would close pretty quickly. Unfortunately I had had it in so long that pulling it out was a bit of a nightmare. Some force was needed and because I did it by myself at home I had to make sure I stayed conscious while doing it all (haha). Despite everything I'e been through, I'm still human and pulling a pipe out of my stomach does make me feel a little queasy!

Once it was out, it was out!!!! It was a little emotional, as all these goal reaching moments are. It's just a reminder that I MADE IT! The days dreaming about pulling my peg out one day were no longer just dreams, they were now and living out your dreams is rather overwhelming at times!

My scar isn't great, I basically have a second belly button! But as with all my scars, it doesn't bother me at all =)



  1. Hi Fawn, I am interested to read that every month you deflated the balloon and pulled it out to clean. NiQi, our daughter has had her PEG since 2012 and no one has ever told her to remove the balloon for cleaning. In fact just two months ago when having it 'inspected', she was told it is in really good condition and no signs of any infection at all. You live and learn and most times through mediums like this....keep on picking up that weight. :)

  2. Hi Suzanne! That's very interesting, wish no-one had to me to clean it every month as I really did hate it and it was quite traumatic! Glad Niqi's peg is in good shape and I hope it continues that way =) Thanks for the comment x


Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you...